Heavy menstrual bleeding affects more than 10 million women per year in the US alone
Known as menorrhagia, the telltale symptom is heavy bleeding that lasts for more than seven days. Bleeding to this degree lowers quality of life and leads to anemia, a common blood disorder that sabotages energy levels. Signs of menorrhagia include:
- Women who have to change their tampon or pad more frequently than every two hours
- Menstrual periods that last for longer than 7 days
- Menstrual flow with blood clots the size of a quarter
- Associated pain in the lower abdomen
- Fatigue and shortness of breath
If you exhibit any of the above symptoms, it is worth your time to consult with a doctor to find out if your menorrhagia is caused by a deeper condition, the most common of which include:
- Hormone-related abnormalities
- Uterine related problems including tumors in the cervix, cancer of the cervix or uterus or problems stemming from pregnancy.
- Bleeding-related conditions such as platelet function disorder
- Liver disease
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Other cancer
How we help women with menorrhagia at Ahkami Medical Group
As your Passaic gynecological specialists, our office will perform a full medical exam if you suspect you may be suffering from mennorhagia. This includes a full medical history including detailed questions about your menstrual cycles. We perform tests including blood tests, endometrial biopsy, pap test and ultrasound to determine if there are abnormalities in your blood flow and possible causes. Depending on the results of these tests, further tests may be ordered if necessary. Depending on the type of condition we determine, there are many types of treatment and therapies available to you. We will be sure to discuss all your options including those involving drugs and surgery to ensure you make an informed decision regarding the direction of your care. Before all else, remember that you are not alone- this is a condition that affects one in five American women. Give our office a call to schedule an appointment today.