Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is a more severe and troubling extension of PMS
While both are experienced in the same time frame (1-2 weeks before mensturation) PMDD causes more extreme swings in mood that can often impinge on your lifestyle. Along with the normal symptoms of PMS, PMDD often includes:
- Extreme sensitivity of mood
- Depressive feelings
- Exaggerated irritability and anger
- Elevated anxiety
- More severe physical tension.
The exact cause of PMDD is unknown, as is why one woman may experience PMDD in place of more standard PMS symptoms. But the important thing to remember is that there are steps you can take to treat PMDD.
Do you feel at the mercy of your period?
If you feel that your PMS symptoms are of a more extreme degree, it is a good idea to speak with a doctor. At Ahkami Medical Group, we offer a medical examination that can help determine whether your symptoms are indicative of PMDD or another condition. From here, we can move forward with several avenues of treatment including:
- Managing nutrition: this includes limiting certain harmful substances, and implementing supplements including calcium, vitamin B6 and magnesium. Many women also find relief with herbal remedies.
- Birth control pills: birth control helps to regulate hormones and has been shown to provide relief from extreme PMDD symptoms.
- Antidepressants: certain medications can help reduce the toll of mental anxiety, problems with sleeping and fatigue.
Are you ready to take back control of your life from PMDD?
If so, give our office in Passaic a call to schedule an appointment today. We can help you pinpoint your symptoms and set a course for treatment that will mitigate their severity.