What are the defining factors of postmenopausal life?
To begin with, postmenopause is defined as beginning when a woman has not had her period for 12 months. The symptoms of perimenopause begin to dissipate, but postmenopausal women have a new set of health factors to contend with.
- Lower hormone levels and less hormone fluctuation: your body is producing fewer reproductive hormones, putting you at risk for the development of conditions such as osteoporosis and heart disease.
- Weight gain: with fewer hormones being produced, the body retains more fat, linked with the development of diabetes, heart disease and cancer in postmenopausal women.
- A change in the distribution and storage of fat.
- Vaginal dryness linked to the cessation of production of oestrogen.
- Vaginal bleeding: a common occurrence, but vaginal bleeding in post-menopause women is considered abnormal and the information should be relayed to a doctor.
Postmenopause is not a curse; it is simply the next phase of life
Society has done a good job of stigmatizing menopause and turning it into a dreaded milestone. However, it is simply a process of nature that requires adjustment of both lifestyle and attitude. At Ahkami Medical Group, we can put the power in your hands to help you stay healthy in both body and mind during this time of change. We will measure your follicle stimulating hormone level to determine if you have truly reached postmenopause. It is important to remember that even postmenopausal woman need to maintain a regular schedule of check-ups and preventative screenings to maintain their health and stay ahead of risk factors.
Our services for postmenopausal women in Passaic
Menopause is not a negative occurrence; it is not a disease that requires a treatment. It simply requires an acceptance of nature and a commitment to changing your lifestyle to account for the new changes in your body. Factors such as diet and exercise are extremely useful for taking back control over weight fluctuation and fat storage. At Ahkami Medical Group, we support women making the transition to postmenopausal life with a comprehensive list of services.