Let's talk about stress in Passaic
What does stress do to the body and mind? While the list of effects is seemingly inexhaustible, there are a few heavy hitters that should not go ignored.
On the body:
- Muscle tension
- Weight gain
- Change in sex drive
- Chest pain
On the mind and mood:
- Short attention span
- Lack of motivation and focus
- Feelings of irritability and anger
- Sadness and depression
- Lack of motivation and interest in your normal activities
What to do about stress in Passaic
- Listen to your body and stop tension where it starts: physical tension can be allayed through on-the-spot stretching and mental tension can be relieved with deep breathing.
- Unplug from electronics: TV can actually be more stimulating than relaxing, which is why if you spend hours watching a screen before bedtime it can be difficult to fall asleep, further adding to your stress cycle. Leave out electronics in the hour leading up to bedtime if possible.
- Leave work at the office: where it belongs! Taking work home prevents your brain from separating work from the rest of your life. Having these lines blurred can set a dangerous precedent for stress.
- Cultivate a healthy sleeping environment: sleep is perhaps the single most important way to keep stress at bay. If you are having trouble sleeping it could be worth reconsidering the habits and the environment that is preventing you from reaping the benefits of restful sleep.
- Get outside: 30 minutes of exposure to green colors and fresh air has been shown to dramatically reduce the effects of stress on the brain.
Stress Management in Passaic
Stress management is part of an overall health plan. At our office in Passaic, we are here to support your pursuit of healthy living. Stress management is an integral part of living well; sometimes all it takes is a conversation to change your attitude and start letting go of habits that are causing you stress. Give our office in Passaic a call to schedule an appointment today.