Are you thinking about becoming pregnant in Passaic? Take time for a preconception checklist
Congratulations- this is a monumental decision that will change your life and start a new one! If you are in the fortunate position to plan a pregnancy, it is always helpful to be thorough and honest with yourself- are you truly ready to have a child? Questions along these lines involve:
- Monetary considerations
- Health history- possibility for genetic problems that could be passed on?
- Lifestyle habits that could affect the health of your child
Ideally, a woman should take three months to prepare for a pregnancy. At Ahkami Medical Group, we are aware that this is not always a possibility; our job is to make sure that no matter what the circumstances, your pregnancy process is a joyful and healthy one the whole way through.
Preconception: preparing for pregnancy
Every woman who is considering becoming pregnant should take the time to screen themselves for the following factors:
- Do you smoke or drink? These can have serious implications in a child's development within the body. Cessation is necessary for the health of your child.
- Medications: be sure to check with a health professional to ensure that your medicines are safe during pregnancy for both mother and child.
- Exposure to substances: there are some substances that you may not even be aware of as toxic but can be very harmful to the development of a child.
- Medical conditions: is it under control? Are your vaccinations up to date?
Preconception is part of prenatal care
Prenatal care refers to the health care you receive while you are pregnant. It ensures the health of mother and baby by conducting regular check ups and providing education and care through each stage of the pregnancy process. The idea of prenatal care is the same as preventative medicine- we are able to detect and set a course to treat pregnancy-related problems early if we see the mother regularly. Ensure a healthy start in life for your baby by calling to schedule an appointment at our office in Passaic today!
Dr. Shahrokh Ahkami, M.D.